Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bungy Jumping in Nanaimo

Looking into the hole below, the knees got very weak...jump NOW!

Sitting here in Nanaimo and looking forward to Tofino again tomorrow. Not a bike trip anymore. The bike I borrowed had too many gear problems to continue with. Left Denman Island Thursday morning, heading towards Nanaimo and kept losing gears and one shifter (old chain, sprockets and shifter). Made the decision to turn around, go back to Comox, re-group and head out with just a backpack. Less mobility, but more freedom. Pas grand chose.

Ended up in Nanaimo Thursday night at the Painted Turtle hostel. Not funky, but nice and new. Saw a great blues band (Carlos Del Junko) that evening. Friday, it just rained all day, and I mean, it just rained all day. Took a real, full day off, got my diary up-to-date, did a laundry, got some reading done, chatted with hostel crowd (lots of Aussies) and caught some decent jazz that evening.

Saturday was nice and sunny, so I decided the walk the 12 km out the the WildPlay Zone, where, as luck would have it, they have some bungy jumping. Wow! Nothing like diving 140+ feet off a bridge to kick-start your day! I had asked for a spongy rope, as compared to a stiff one, so guess what...got immersed up to my shoulders in the river water on the initial dive. Too cool! I have a great video, but no access to it on this computer. Will write this up proper at home.

Another part of my plan was to take the Lady Rose ferry to Ucluelet, but this option is only open in June, so it's off to Tofino, where I hope to take a water taxi up the West Coast, at least to Flores Island and the Hummingbird Hostel.

Cheers. Bruce
On the Beach with the Family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for ther DVD. Saw the one of Jo-Anna in New Zealand and it was awesome.

Sounds like lots of Hostels, Jazz, and just 'doin.'

THE sungod

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the video! I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon...