Monday, April 23, 2007

Hot Springs in Tofino

Definitely a fun day

Arrived in Tofino on Sunday afternoon. Was just walking into my hostel room, when a young guy (Joel) stops me and asks if i want to fly up to Hot Springs Cove for the rest of the day, as they were looking for a 4th person to share the $$$. Sign me up! Ten minutes later, I'm getting on the plane with Bayden, Joel and Mitch (an Aussie...the place is rife with 'em). Great ride up. Been on lots of little planes and helicopters, first float plane...too cool. The 2km walk in is all like a rainforest, and the boardwalk has a lot of donated, inscribed boards. The springs are addictive. We spend 4 hours there. I offset the heat with ongoing dips in the Pacific. Oddly enough, the young guys from Alberta aren't into this, altho they,ve been surfing at Chesterman's all week, including that morning. Back to town, quick run to grocery store, beer store and back to hostel. Hopping place for 8:00 pm on a Sunday night. I meet Uve, Marcel and Sara from Germany and our small crowd ends up in a bar later on. I finally get back to my room after midnight. Been a long day. As it turns out, Uve and Sara are my roomies.

Monday...it rains all day, including some sleet. I take the path of least resistance and do some shop browsing, and check out boats headed for Flores Island or whale-watching. Get the paper, drink coffee, do a laundry, see a movie that night (Babel...excellent). You need this type of day on a long trip.

Tuesday, it's off to the Hummingbird Hostel, located just beside the Ahousat Indian Reservation (about a n hour by boat, north) and run by a quirky, 40-year-old Japanese guy (Yuki). He's been there 8 years, but is currently at odds with the locasl who own his building and likley won't be there after this summer. His deck has 2 hummingbird feeders that are going all day. I spend a wonderful day, sitting in one spot on the wharf, watching this very active village. I get to meet a few locals and hitch a ride over to the Reservation wharf for a spell. They made a movie here back in the 70's (the Owl called his name?), and i visited the local beach and church. Also watched the movie later. Hitched a ride with the guys going clam-digging (was tempted to try and tag along) and saw them come in and unload later in the evening. There were float planes and boats going by all day long. I was outside from sun-up to sundown. A great day. Nothing thrilling like bungy-jumps and float planes. More of a head-space day.

Wednesday, it's back to Tofino. Spent the entire day outside as well. Missed out on the whale watch run, but got in a few hours sitting dockside, a 10 km walk to the Botanical Gardens (my favorite spot on this trip) and then a 6 mile run. Also made it to a dinner cafe, where I finally got to see Serena and Sabrina (I had just missed them in Comox and Nanaimo). Bought the CDs and spent a nice evening. Another day where I enjoyed every moment.

Thursday...I walk to Uclulet. About 42 kms. Gorgeous, sunny day. The best weather yet. I stop at a few beaches along Long Beach, including Incinerator Rock, just past where we surfed...seemed so long ago. After about 25 kms of pounding the asphalt, I stop in at Wikininnish for lunch and a beer. The waiter sees me checking local maps and offers that there is a way to get to Uclulet by trail and beach, without going back on the road. Sign me up. I spend a few great hours, including 6 kms on Florentia Bay. A stunning afternoon. Surf a bit wild to try a swim in, altho I did get in a little skinny dip on a small incoming river. Get into Uclulet, late, tired and sore. Dinner, a few beer, a batch and bed. Another really great day.

Time to head back to Comox and visit some family

Bruce

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great experience.

p.s. I think you mean you took a dip in the Pacific (not Atlantic).

bcmurphy said...

Fixed. Much obliged

Bruce