Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Surfing in Tofino

Surfing is really hard work. My arms are still tired.

What a busy start to a vacation. Head is still spinning from the past few days.

Flight from Halifax to Victoria went fine. Weather was so nice, I just had to switch into shorts and t-shirt on the Victoria Harbour Walk, just before pics in front of the Empress Hotel and a quick tour of the Royal Theatre, run by Opera Victoria.

Dropping in on my niece Becky , who I haven't seen in 25 years, was quite a shock. Also met her significant other, John, and her 2 daughters, Maya and Lola. We travelled up to Comox that night to visit and stay with my sister Michelle. Brother John, who I also haven't seen in 25 years, dropped over or a beer.

Friday, it's up for a run, with mountains as my backdrop. Amazing! Get some biking done in the afternoon, meet my other niece, Joanne and her hubby Kyle and daughter Livea, then it's off to a beach for family photos, where I meet John's son, Ben and his better half Meaghan, as well as John's significant other, Linda. The photo session is too cool. Can't wait to see the professional pics...as I used the opportunity to snap pics for the entire hour.

Then it's off to a bar with the brother for a beer and bit of schmoozing. We've been in touch by email the past 6 months, but it's nice to put a face to all that blather.

Saturday, more running and biking and some family road-hockey and a big Easter dinner. I've seen pictures of these events for years. Nice to finally be here for one.

Sunday, it's up early and off to Tofino with Kyle and Ed for some surfing. That's not me in the picture above, as my total time on top of the board with my feet (as compared to all my other body parts) did not add up top 5 seconds. The surfing was hard enough. Trying to not have the waves beat you back onto shore used up 90% of my energy. Nice big waves. Learned a lot. Had a blast. Beat the holy crap out of myself.

Monday, it's up for a run, get a laundry done, the off cross-country skiing with my sister up at Mount Washington. We visited the big ski hill as well. Busy, big spot. The nordic setup was much more to my liking. Dinner was John, Linda, Michelle and I. There was a bit of a dustup. I guess time does not resolve issues, we'll have to resolve them ourselves.

Oddly enough, on Tuesday morning, I don't feel like going for a run. My body and brain feel like the've been thru the wringer. I do get in a bit of biking, then lunch with Michelle and some co-workers, followed by dragon-boat paddling with her 'croo. Great job my sister has. I see her all day and she still gets in a day's work.
Out for coffee with the paddlers (just like a bunch from Banook) and Michelle lucks onto a bike that I can use for my trip, from her friend, Mary. I'm mobile!

Wednesday morning, I get the bike on the road and tool down the coast to Denman Island, where I get access to a computer. Funky spot. I love staying in hostels.

So, the plan is to bike for the next week or so. Get down to Nanaimo and maybe the Gulf Islands, or take the Lady Rose ferry from Port Alberni and visit the West Coast some more. Nice to have options.

Cheers. Bruce

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus, you could have picked Costa Rica. Greg MacD

Unknown said...

Thats so cool that you got out to try surfing! You know you could do that back home too...not that I would even consider that but hey, its a thought!

miss you, love you,

mle :)