Thursday, April 26, 2007

Walking on Salt Spring Island

Salt Spring Island is a funky place

Since I enjoy walking in or out of all the towns I visit, Tuesday, I found the Galloping Goose trail and headed north out of Victoria. Put in about 20 kms by lunch and had pout up with enough rain, that I got off-trail and took a bus up to Departure Bay, where I took the ferry to Salt Spring Island. Gorgeous ride at suppertime, just as the sun made its debut for the day. Stayed at a little B&B in Fulford that had a great view of the harbour. An excellent supper was at the local pub. The B&B guy, Doug, is from Edmonton, and away most of the year. He dropped by for a few beer and I met some of the locals as he re-connected with them. Pretty good day all around.

Tuesday, I hitch-hiked to Ganges, which is a pretty funky place. Worked on a little haiku about my Dad and his effect on my life (being around family the past few weeks had dredged up the some memories that need to be dealt with). Will save that gor the Gonzo log as well, as it's pretty dark. From Ganges, I walked to Vesuvius, took the ferry to Crofton, and walked to Duncan in the ongoing rain. Nice walk, but the parts are beat up. I'm done with the walking. Treated myself to a motel room. Oh la la!
Another great dinner and beer fiesta in the pub and sleep like a baby. Even with the rain, it was a great day.

Bruce

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm...i think any haiku i could come up with about you would be very very cheery

mle :)

Scott Simmons Salt Spring Island said...

That's one big hike. Congrats on your adventure.
Cheers
Scott
http://escapetosaltspring.blogspot.com/